Saturday, January 14, 2017

RED INGLE AND HIS NATURAL SEVEN - "Melody Masters" (1948)

 Tonight's Saturday Night Special is for me, I hope you like it as much as I do!

 When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time listening to my Dad's olde 78 records, and I mean a lot of time! Many, many of those songs will be ingrained into my head for my own personal eternity!
Of course, the novelty records were the ones I listened to the most by Spike Jones, Tex Williams, and there was this record called "Yokohama Mama" by Hari Kari and his Six Saki Sippers, that I accidently broke one day, but two of my favourite records were by Red Ingle and his Natural Seven, "Tem-Tayshun" with Red Ingle and Cinderella G. Stump (Jo Stafford) on vocals, and  "Cigareets, Whuskey, and Wild Wild Women" with vocals by Red and Buttermilk Tussie!

 Red Ingle was born into this world as Ernest Jansen Ingle in 1906, and departed in 1965 at the age of 58. If you'd like to visit his grave, it's in a Santa Barbara graveyard that he shares with Fess Parker and Alan Thicke!

 This is a 14 minute burlesque show that Red made in 1948, and you can watch it or download it for free, no strings attached at a site I just discovered and added to our side bar called "Free Classic Movies!" As I captioned the link over there, If this blog was a class, that site would be one of our textbooks. There are probably at least 100 great movies you can watch there that we've covered on this site, so don't ever tell me you don't have anything to do!

 Red knew how to surround himself with talent like The Albin Dancers, and singer Karen Tedder!

 "The Man With The Big Sombrero" is the song sung by Karen Tedder!

 I didn't know before I started writing this that Red worked with Spike Jones and his City Slickers before going solo, and had done the vocals on a couple of Spike's hits like "You Always Hurt the One You Love," "Liebestraum" and "Glow Worm!" From listening to the music, I always had assumed that this was a hillbilly band, but that aspect was just one part of their shtick! I love Red's outfit, like some kind of military busboy ringmaster!

 
 Red learned to play the violin at a very young age, and then also turned to saxophone!
This Wikipedia page will show you what an amazing cat he really was!

Okay, enough of all that, let's get this show rolling!!

 Can't find out much about the very talented and very pretty Karen Tedder, except she was in another one of these Red Ingle shorts, and was on the Perry Como show once. I'm pretty sure that she was also the one doing the Buttermilk Tussie vocals!

 Karen is awesome doing her Carmen Miranda routine, and ignoring Red the whole time as he eats all the fruit in her headdress !

 Next up are the Albins doing an insane dance number you're just going to have to watch because I don't think I can really describe it accurately!

 
 Red's guitar player was a guy named Hayden Causey, and Hayden and the boys do a hot little number called "Steel Guitar Rag!" with Red on fiddle!

 In a more serious moment (Right!) Red does something he calls "Violin Concerto!"

The show closes out with "Cigareets, Whuskey, and Wild Wild Women!" The only thing that's missing is the drunken heckler on the recorded version! This song became a big hit because it was banned from playing on the radio for it's lyrical content! That'll work every time!! 
And you gotta admit, 
"Cigareets, Whuskey, and Wild, Wild Women, They'll Drive You Crazy, They'll Drive You Insane!"
That's advice that some almost 70 years later, you still can't argue with!

So, thanx big time to Jimbo Berkey at Free Classic Movies for this killer blast from the past!
The way things are going, gettting to see this might be the best thing that ever happens in 2017!

No comments:

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??