Sunday, March 18, 2018

10 GREAT MONSTER MOVIES TABONGA! SAW IN 1957

1957 was one of the greatest years for monster movies, some of us got to see them when they came out, making for happy little monster kids. Here are 10 movies (I saw a total of 19 movies in 1957) I got to see and will be forever grateful. The movies are in no particular order.

THE BLACK SCORPION is still a ton of fun to watch, I think the best part is when the big old puss of the monster is shown with all its slimy drool and slobber!

I loved CURSE OF THE DEMON when I saw it, the Demon was a terrifying as Hell, but, the scenes in the woods of that fireball stalking Dana was even scarier to me!

When I saw VOODOO ISLAND it was a very strange adventure, of course the monster plants were very disturbing, especially the ones that attack the female helper Sarah and the one that captures the small girl, yow!..

Man, NOT OF THIS EARTH was super freaky, so many crazy things going on! Still, my favorite part was when Mr. Johnson releases Paul Blaisdell's creepy hovering Umbrella Monster!

I was totally plugged into 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH when I saw it, besides the fabulous Ymir creature, I thought that the infected crewman was freaky, would more people catch it?

Another real treat was THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS! The Brain was shocking, a big Brain with eyeballs that can fry yer ass was pretty damn scary at the time. A great role for John Agar with his weird contact lenses and all!

When I saw THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, it was so sad and depressing. I still remember when Grant Williams, in his boat, encounters the strange radio active fog that surrounds and causes him to shrink down! - p.s. the cat and tarantula were the monsters.

KRONOS blew my mind, it was so freakin' unique! The saucer from space, the little ball of light with an alien presence, the doctor taken over by the aliens, the giant, ever-growing Robot from Hell, the A-Bomb, people getting crushed, etc. Wow, a real sci-fi treat and a half!

Besides FORBIDDEN PLANET, ENEMY FROM SPACE is my favorite sci-fi movie from the fifties. I cannot tell you how amazing and creepy it was to see this Great Monster Movie in 1957 at age 9. I've always been scared by the idea of Blobs and when Quatermass looks into the dome and sees the sea of black slime twitching and writhing, well... YOOOW!! It was a movie that got inside you like INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS!

Lastly is THE DEADLY MANTIS, another movie that was amazing at the time, Universal always took extra care with their fifties monster movies and it shows with this one! I liked the scenes when it was just buzzing around. Okay then, tune in Wednesday when Eegah!! gives it his all...

2 comments:

KD said...

Great movies in 1957! NOT OF THIS EARTH is a special favorite, and if you watch carefully, you can play the game of " in this scene, is that Paul Birch or Lyle Latell playing Mr. Johnson?"

I used to wish that if the film had been AIP instead of AA, we might have gotten to see a 1960s Larry Buchanan remake starring Billy Thurman as Mr. Johnson and Pat Delany as Nadine. But I'm dreaming, of course.

Anonymous said...

What a great year 1957 was for theatre-goers ! Although classics such as DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THIS ISLAND EARTH and FORBIDDEN PLANET came out, my favorite 1950's Sci-Fi flic is still KRONOS! Love everything about it, particularly the unique production designs and the great score! A highlight of my fan life was getting to meet Jeff Morrow at a con in Maryland, and getting several autographs on cherished movie posters.

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??