Wednesday, March 24, 2021

THE AVENGERS - "The Cybernauts" (1966)

Right now, nothing appeals to me any better than "The Avengers," so that's what you're going to get on this fine Wednesday, March 2021! 

"The Cybernauts" was the third episode from the fourth season of "The Avengers," and aired March 28, 1966, almost exactly 55 years ago, and it's still just as good as the day they made it!
 
People are getting killed and there always seems to be an ink pen involved!

Not even a shotgun can stop the mayhem!

Steed remarks that this would be a good shotgun for shooting chandeliers!

Something big is at the door!

And after the death and destruction, another pen is at the scene of the crime!

This gal is supposed to be pretty tough, but Mrs. Peel disposes of her easily!
 
 This is a pretty funny moment that made me wonder if it was in the script or impromptu. Mrs. Peel is dusting the room, and then she dusts off Steed a little bit too.

 
Try and wrap your brain around this fact. KISS have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but neither Patrick Macnee or Diana Rigg do!!

 
The guy in charge of all the mayhem is Dungeon Hero Michael Gough, as mean Dr. Armstrong! Shame, shame, Michael Gough also does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!

 
The big Cybernaut robots under Dr. Armstrong's control are tuned in to anyone who has one of his guidance pens on them, so he kindly gives one to Steed!

 
Boy, would I like to have this table full of toys!

Steed finally gets to meet the big guy while he's in his dormant state, but that doesn't last for long!
 
As it turns out, Dr. Armstrong has another Cybernaut working for him too, but this one is not a hit man, he's a maintenance man.
 
 
I love all the monitors in Dr. Armstrong's lab!

 
They plant the homing device pen meant for Steed on the maintenance man robot, and the two Cybernauts duke it out!

 
Dr. Armstrong loses his shit! He can't believe he's been foiled by John Steed and Mrs. Peel!

The two robots beat each other senseless, and become comepletely non-functional, and Mrs. Peel can't believe she was able to push the hit man robot over with one finger!
I'll be back on Saturday with the followup episode they did in 1967 that's in colour, that was called "Return Of The Cybernauts," so stay tuned

5 comments:

Rich Horton said...

Wait just a damn minute. Patrick Macnee & Diana Rigg do not have stars on the sidewalk on Hollywood Blvd!?? We are talking injustice of the highest order here, my friend!

(By the way, I used to work on Hollywood Blvd way back in 1972 and loved seeing the names of actors I barely remembered. But, damn, I DO REMEMBER Patrick Macnee & Diana Rigg, the latter of whom made an impressionable impression on this particular teenager back in the Sixties when I was barely competent at lifting Connie A's bra strap.)

Frankly, I think virtually all the Avengers' episodes are the same plotline, but no matter -- they all mattered at the time.

Rich

Secret Squirrel said...

This spooked the hell out of me when I first saw it in the 1960's here in Australia and I still enjoy watching it (and the sequel) on my blu-ray set more than 50 years later.

Apart from the aforementioned sequel, you might also want to keep an eye out for the "New Avengers" Cybernaut episode.

cheers!

Paul (yep, it's been a while since I left a comment)

EEGAH!! said...

Some things just ain't right! And if that's not bad enough, I just checked again and neither Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing have a star either! Downright sinful!

EEGAH!! said...

Always good to hear from you Paul, hope you're high and dry!! Yeah, I was going to make it a trilogy, but I haven't found a copy of "The Last Of The Cybernauts" yet!

Rich Horton said...

No Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing? The world is coming to an end, I tell ya.

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??