Saturday, March 16, 2019

GENTLEMEN BRONCOS - "Title Cards" (2009)

 Tonight's Saturday Night Special has one thing going for it, so I'm just going to put the spotlight on that one element!!

I guess I'm just too olde to appreciate films like "Gentlemen Broncos" any more, but I'll tell you one thing, this movie has one of the best opening title sequences of any film I've seen lately, so in order to accentuate the positive, that's what I've got for you!

 "Gentlemen Broncos" is a story about a young Science Fiction author who gets his work ripped off by a famous writer, and then gets accused of plagiarism!

 So it's a stroke of genius to use pseudo covers of 1960's paperback books during the opening title sequences!

 Now I know a lot of you out there don't know what a book is, and for that I am extremely sorry that none of this makes sense!

There were many publishers of science fiction paperback books in the 60's, and each one of these fake covers is an homage to one or another!

Two of the more successful companies were Bantam and Ballantine!

I read many a novel published by Ace and Avon Books!

A lot of extremely cool books were published by Pyramid and/or Berkley Medallion!

Two more big publishers in the 60's were Dell and Crest!

I think what this movie is missing more than anything is counterbalance!

There's not one normal person, and it's like everybody in the whole universe is too weird to even shop at Walmart!

The husband and wife team of Jared and Jerusha Hess are responsible for most of this mess!

Jared and Jerusha Hess also wrote "Napoleon Dynamite" and "Nacho Libra" so it's not like they aren't talented, this thing just tries too hard!

I like this last cover the best, and I could have only hoped that "Gentlemen Broncos" would have been this good, but plain and simple, in my book, it just wasn't!
You are entitled to your own opinion!

7 comments:

Jeff said...

I have never seen it but am tempted to based strictly on these credits/title cards.

EEGAH!! said...

Who knows Jeff? A lot of people think movies like this are hilarious, I just didn't happen to, but the title cards were brilliant!

MDG14450 said...

It seems like the book mock-ups would be the biggest expense in the budget.

Peterpeter said...

Hi Eegah! I watched this movie three times then I showed it to all my friends. I seriously entertained the idea that this was the funniest movie ever made.then i saw the reviews...oh boy.

EEGAH!! said...

Everybody's entitled to their own opinions Pete! If we all liked the same thing, the world would be terribly boring! If you thought it was funny, and it made you laugh, then that's all that matters!

Peterpeter said...

Thanks Eegah.I also love Ishtar!

EEGAH!! said...

You might want to seek treatment!

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??