Monday, September 18, 2017

TABONGA'S ART INFLUENCED By HORROR And SCI-FI MOVIES

It's time to check out some Tabonga! Art, all influenced by Horror and Sci-Fi Movies! Most are recent pieces, all show how growing up in the Fifties warped my mind and even caused me to assume a monster's name!!.. Enjoy.

First up is THE GIANT CLAW, the atomic space vulture that came to Earth to lay its eggs and take things over with anti-matter trickery!

This alien plant thing was influenced by the creatures in THE ANGRY RED PLANET. You'll notice this one has a bug parasite coming out of its brain!

Here's another plant monster based on DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS. This one is a Fungus Triffid with deadly spores to decimate the puny human race!!

Then, there's this crawling hand from INVASION OF THE SAUCER-MEN, I've made and sold about 8 of these classic Paul Blaisdell creations so far and plan on doing more, they sell like hotcakes!

After doing the Saucer-Men crawling hands, I decided to do my own version. This is another creeping hand but has two eyes, it's actually just as shocking as the Saucer-Men version!

I've sold a pile of these guys, based on the Venusian monster in IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, another classic design by Paul Blaisdell.

Here's a freaky giant atomic-spawned killer clam, based on the ideas in ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, one of my very favorite pieces!

I've done a few of these Meteor Monsters. inspired by the meteor-dust-coated FIRST MAN INTO SPACE. I also used this weird thing in a painting...

Here's an alien rock monster, love rock monsters! The movie I think of when rock monster is mentioned is MISSILE TO THE MOON, they are so kitschy-cool.

This is a Jungle Voodoo Bird, kinda based on the bird thing in CURUCU, BEAST OF THE AMAZON. I just bought a heap of feathers, so, looks like I'll be making monster birds for a while! In fact, I just scored a commission to make a full bodied GIANT CLAW!

I've done quite a few of these nudie jungle gals that are take-offs on VOODOO WOMAN.

This strange little thing was inspired by THE BLOB, done a bunch of these too. I love this piece, I sold it as an LSD HALLUCINATION!

Another BLOB monster, this one's a Tar-Blob that can be found on a distant alien planet!

Here's a very cool monster based on the creatures in THE GREEN SLIME, something you wouldn't want to meet up with in a dark alley! Or actually, anywhere!!

This freaky thing reminds me of the giant monster at the end of THE FLESH EATERS!

ISLAND OF TERROR inspired this piece, it's a slimy flesh-eating atomic mutation horror!

This guy is based on the wild rubber creatures featured in THE OUTER LIMITS series, I've made about 10 of them, they're always fun to build.

I've done a ton of robots too, mainly based on the DALEK bots, I think it looks cool to put eyeballs and teeth on them, makes 'em extra weird!

This totally freaked out crawling monstrosity was inspired by the British movie, ASYLUM. Remember the freezer scene with the attacking body parts?

I'm cheating on this one a bit... I got the idea from comic god, Basil Wolverton, in his story, THE BRAIN-BATS OF VENUS!

So, hope you enjoyed the show, I definitely enjoyed making these monsters. Join us again on Wednesday when Eegah!! will have another fun post to share with us!

By the way, if you're interested, you can find my artwork for sale on eBay, my seller name is 'bongo52' if you want to check them out!

6 comments:

Lawson Desrochers said...

I love them all! The kind of remind of those Odd-Rod trading cards from the late 1960's, but cooler, and more monster. Can I ask what medium you use to make them? They are truly rad. Thanks!

TABONGA! said...

Hi Lawson, glad you enjoyed the post. I use wood, wire, Crayola Model Magic and craft paint. I've been working on monster sculptures since 1994 and have sold thousands of them... Thanks for checking in -

Grant said...

I'm very sentimental about the Odd Rods too.

That next-to-last one reminds me of the creature in the ULTRAMAN episode called "The Earth Is My Home."

Grant said...

I'm glad to say a lot of them have a real Basil Woolverton kind of look.

Randall Landers said...

Love the GIANT CLAW monster!

Anonymous said...

Amazing talent and creations, rivaled only by the great Basil Wolverton! HURRAH!

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??