Monday, March 31, 2014

~ 13 MORE OF TABONGA'S FAVORITE FIFTIES MONSTERS ~

It's another list of Favorite Fifties Flicks from Tabonga, here at The Dungeon!.. There are 13 more movies listed here, Dungeon fan Randall Landers gets credit for giving me the idea of more, and, they're listed in alphabetical order.

THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK - 1958 / I saw this one back in 1958, what a really teriffic movie it was! I love the size comparison between the Colossus and his doctor dad. What the Hell was dad thinking when he gave him a freakin' disintegating ray?!!

THE CRAWLING EYE - 1958 / First saw this one in the early sixties on TV, great monsters! The effects are a little hokey at the end, but, it's very original and it definitely tickled my sci-fi monster bone! Written by my fave, Jimmy Sangater.

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - 1954 / Here you go Randall, the fantastic Universal Creature, designed by the great artist, Milicent Patrick, who also created the Metaluna Mutant for THIS ISLAND EARTH, the Xenomorph in IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and the Mr. Hyde mask for ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE. She also has 28 acting credits including playing a Tavern Wench in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD.

THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT aka THE CREEPING UNKNOWN - 1955-6 / This movie was a real mind boggler, first with Caroon's skin turning transparent, then, him absorbing a cactus that's attached to his hand, until at the end where he's just a mass of zoo animals, as shown.

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN - 1957 / Chris Lee makes for one gruesome Frankenstein Monster, it makes you sick to look at him, poor thing. Universal owned the rights to the protruding brow (believe it or not) and it wasn't until the making of THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN in 1964 that Hammer got permission to use it.

INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN - 1957 / Paul Blaisdell was king of the Fifties Rubber Monsters, without a doubt! Here's an evil little Saucerman, ready to inject a cow with his syringe fingers. I'll be doing a special post of all of Paul's monsters, so, be looking for that one soon!

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE - 1953 / Another great Universal flick, originally filmed in 3-D along with THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Love this shot of Richard Carlson and Barbara Rush when they encounter the weird looking Xenomorpf on a desert road.

IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE - 1958 / Here's another great Blaisdell creation. Ray 'Crash' Corrigan plays IT!, when Ray put the mask on for the first time after shooting had begun, it was too small for his face and Paul had to redo the mask to make it fit properly! So, the first time you see the shadow of the monster in the spaceship before takeoff, you can tell that Ray has no mask on because you can see his big old nose!

KRONOS - 1957 / Saw this one at the theater in 1957, man, how cool it was!! This is a totally unique film and it had my attention the whole time, I was 9 years old when I saw it.

THE MONSTER OF PIEDRAS BLANCAS - 1959 / Eegah!! and I saw this one in the theater and thought it was okay, you can see the Morro Rock in a few shots, Morro Bay was a popular place for us to go back then.

JEANNE CARMEN - Jeanne Carmen stars in THE MONSTER OF PIEDRAS BLANCAS and plays a very innocent female character, totally opposite of who she really was. I've had a mad crush on her for years for obvious reasons!

THE THING - 1951 / I totally agree with Randall on this one, THE THING is one of my Top Ten Monster Movies from the Fifties. I like it a Hell of a lot better than Carpenter's 1982 freakout version. Weird, I never noticed that design on the Thing's suit before!

WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST - 1958 / This is probably Mr. BIG's best movie, I saw THE CYCLOPS with my neighbors in 1957 but the effects were not as good as in this one.

WORLD WITHOUT END - 1956 / This movie had the very best mutant men in the Fifties, the space ship was reused in IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE and QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE, another sci-fi movie my dad took me to see in 1959.

Next Monday, look for 13 More of My Favorite Sixties Monsters!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, a top-notch selection. I really enjoy the work you guys put into this site and I love looking at other people's lists (though I would have included "Space Master X-7" which is one of my all-time faves. I just wish they would put it out on DVD).

regards - Paul

TABONGA! said...

Hi Paul, I've already done SPACEMASTER X-7 in an all Blob post- Great still, look for it here...

http://monstermoviemusic.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-was-teenage-blob-look-at-blob-movies.html

Randall Landers said...

Thanks, guys! Love this site, and your reviews! And love these films!!!

Grant said...

I have one simple tribute to COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK. Horror films have almost never frightened me in the daytime, and the first time I saw COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK, it was a sunny Saturday afternoon, and it STILL managed to scare me from beginning to end. I think that by itself says a lot.

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??