Wednesday, September 18, 2019

THE MUMMIES - "The Band, The Music, and maybe The Movie"

In the late 1980's in the Bay Area of California, a garage/punk band called The Mummies was formed! They were low-fi, budget-rock monsters!

Welcome to an Extra Moldy Wednesday edition of The Dungeon!


This video of "The Fly" will answer any questions you might have!
Above all else, The Mummies were performers! Unlike most mummies, as far as I know, they never killed anybody!

 The Mummies were D.I.Y. artists of the highest level and disdained big production values!
Their recordings were totally raw, just the way they wanted them to be!
When the technology of CD's came out, they wanted nothing to do with it!

 This 45 was released in 1990, with a pressing of only 1500!

The Mummies' members were Maz Kattuah on Bass, Larry Winther on Lead Guitar, Trent Ruane on Organ and Sax, and Russell Quan on the Skins!

 The Mummies reunited a couple of times, and in 1994 released this LP called "Party At Steve's House!"


I mean like what is there not to like about these guys?
They've got it all!! Intelligence, talent, and rags!

 According to Wikipedia, The Mummies are getting back together for a while in 2020, and are currently working on a movie! I sure hope they send us a copy, but what's it going to be on?
 8 Millimeter or VHS?

I hope ya'll dug that as much as I did, it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time because these Mummies are crazy cool!


 While I was putting this whole thing together, I found videos on YouTube by yet another Mummies band that I had never heard of before called Here Come The Mummies. Although this is a damn fine soul/funk band, and odd no doubt, something about them just doesn't seem right, and if you don't know what I mean, go back and watch the first Mummies video again!
This is just more like a really good band wrapped up in bandages!

2 comments:

KD said...

Regardless of the 'costumes' these guys are DAMN GOOD!

EEGAH!! said...

I'm glad someone agrees with me!

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??