Monday, March 7, 2022

THE SCI-FI AND HORROR MOVIES OF 1954

For some reason the other day, I was wondering what it would look like if I compiled a list of all the sci-fi and horror movies from 1954. I thought the list would be strange, you know, 1954, and there are lots more sci-fi flicks than there are horror films. Movies are in random order.

We got our first television in 1953, so, I got to watch movies like KILLERS FROM SPACE on TV a lot because they re-ran them all the time, mostly Friday and Saturday evenings. I liked this one, it was just so weird, and for a kid, it delivered the goods. Love the ping pong eyeballs!

I swear, I cannot remember if my dad took me to see CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, there are a few parts I remember for some reason, and, this was not a movie that played very often on TV at all. Now, I cannot watch it, it's boring as Hell, but the Creature costume is superb!

GOG is another movie they played the crap out of on TV in the fifties. I was creeped out a little by the robots, I loved the sets, but that spinning two-seat centrifugal machine was plain ridiculous!

I can't tell you how many time I saw RIDERS TO THE STARS on TV, but many. The main thing I was interested in was the scene where the astronaut gets toasted by a meteor, of course!

I'd say they started playing GODZILLA on TV in 1955, and soon thereafter, GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN. The original Godzilla is terrifying!

I'm not sure if I saw MONSTER FROM THE OCEAN FLOOR on TV. As a kid, I probably wouldn't have stuck around for the 55 minutes it took before they showed the monster. Love that damn monster though, a small masterpiece of imagination.

I totally preferred anything sci-fi to horror, the ideas were fresh and space monsters were a new kind of horror. PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE just recycled another ape.

They played TARGET EARTH a bit on TV and it was okay, but watching it now is a real chore, and, there was only one actual robot!

I don't think I ever saw a Bowery Boys movie at the theater. In THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS, the boys are stuck in a haunted house filled with creeps and ghouls, and a man eating plant. Here at The Dungeon, we prefer MASTERMINDS, it's so freaking hilarious!

Vincent Price gives another great performance as THE MAD MAGICIAN, and for a second time the movie's filmed in 3-D, a follow up to HOUSE OF WAX a year earlier.

Here's another one they played a lot on television, another boring movie, SNOW CREATURE. The monster looks like a guy in a suit playing a monster, you can practically see a zipper!

Here's the finest movie to come out of 1954, THEM! They may have played this one on TV but it would have been on some special occasion during prime time.

I can still watch DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS at times, and again, they played this one a lot on TV in our area (Fresno and Bakersfield) in the fifties. It definitely has atmosphere, and a refrigerator shaped robot, unlike the one shown on the poster.

I always loved to watch TOBOR THE GREAT when it came on, really terrific robot. But my very favorite part in when Russians are entering the scientist's compound and they play wartime sounds with dive bombers, machine guns and explosions over the loud speakers (with flashing lights), chasing off the bad guys in a hurry..

Never even saw STRANGER FROM VENUS until like 10 or so years ago. Boring, way too much yakkity-yak, ho-hum. Dude was trying to capitalize on his marriage to Patricia Neal.

Can't remember seeing THE ATOMIC KID but sure I must have. You can tell that a number of actors are going to be chewing lots of rug! Included this title for the Hell of it!

Then there's 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA from Disney, another movie I have no desire to watch again. When the giant octopus attacks the Nautilus at the end, it just looks silly, or maybe just plain stupid.

Here's one for Eegah, our last movie on the list. GORILLA AT LARGE is one wild and weird horror movie starring the lovely Anne Bancroft. Well, there you go, the sci-fi and horror movies from 1954, a warm up for what was yet to come!!

10 comments:

KD said...

Whoa! I was "hatched" from my...mother(ship) in 1954! So my fave couple of 1954 sci-fi flicks represented in this list would have to be the deliriously weird KILLERS FROM SPACE, and the slightly grim but robot-driven TARGET EARTH!

I used to love THEM to pieces, but the last part of the film tends to run out of steam a bit, IMHO, but the early scenes in the desert are great!

Realm Of Retro said...

KILLERS FROM SPACE: Peter Graves is in this?...wow!
He is the brother of James Arness for those who didn't know.
Another reason I want to wait for the blu-ray before I
watch this movie in it's entirety.

I've been scoping this movie for years
& found nothing but grubby low-res versions
but I found a NICE version of KFS here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNpFxNHPSKo

It's not blu-ray but its a lot better
than the last 5 or 6 youtube videos I checked out.

RON GANS is also in this movie.
He had one of the best narrating voices
the 20th century ever produced. Right up there with Paul Frees &
Sir Cedric Hardwick.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047149/

The goofs page is also good.
Sometimes people cite little things
but there are some jewels in there:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047149/goofs?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

EEGAH!! said...

There are some decent copies at the Internet Archive. This is one of them.

https://archive.org/details/KillersFromSpace_201405

kd said...

Ron Gans aka Ran Kennedy, who starred opposite the great Richard Devon in BATTLE ON BLOOD ISLAND! Ron Gans, most well-known for the voice of "Mr. Nobody," a role NOT voiced by William Bramley (sp?) or whomever Marc Cushman credited the voice in his LIS book(s), Gands did a lot of voices for Irwin Allen's TV shows, then Roger Corman started using Gans as his *trailer voice* for New World Pictures in the '70s etc. One of his latter voiceovers was the "oil slick" monster Armus in STAR TREK-THE NEXT GENERATION, an episode scripted by Joseph Stefano of OUTER LIMITS and PSYCHO fame.

kd aka KD said...

Ron Gans was actually aka RON (not RAN) Kennedy. /me slaps himself for a dumb typo.

Realm Of Retro said...

THANKS for the link....I downloaded that (Killers From Space).
This one post is a lightning rod for my imagination. I Love it!



Creature From The Black Lagoon:
Yes, most of it was terribly boring.
Only MGM or Universal could get away with that
as they had high production values & unlimited publicity but casting
Richard Carlson as the lead was like having Gene Wilder in a 007 movie.
Carlson was not an action player:
He looks and acts like a Doctor or Scientist.
Richard Denning should have been the lead IMO.


GOG (1954)
First time I saw this was maybe '73 from a UHF station 50 miles away.
It was raining. Anyone who knows UHF can tell you that on rainy nights
everything on UHF showed up in B&W unless you had a very strong signal.
Therefore:
I had concluded for years that GOG was a B&W movie when it was not.
This movie got a HUGE upgrade around (maybe) 2010.
Not blu-ray but close, maybe it was a 8GB double-sided DVD.

GOG was blu-rayed a few years back, I have it & it looks great.
There is actually a 3D version of this movie out there somewhere.

GOG publicity "Frankenstein of Steel" was a spoiler big-time.
You usually don't see that on posters

Centrifuge Scene: Silly / Hazardous
Working Centrifuges are constructed so occupant is facing the hub.
GOG centrifuge looks like a backyard contraption thrown together
over a weekend. Sideways seating arrangement only induces nausea
and did during production from what I have read.
Eventually mannequins were wired to the seats & frame
which is what should have been done to begin with.



DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS:
Now HERE'S a movie that needs to be blu-rayed.
EERIE "Refrigerator Robot" and funny Hibachi UFO are some highlights here,
as well as cold-as-ice Patricia Laffan putting humans in their place.

The special FX for the Robot's disintegrator are pretty cool for the time
and the Hibachi UFO was very well-designed even if it did look like
a little barbecue.


Eegah & Tabonga: Your postings are well-appreciated from Boston.
Especially the captions, they are priceless. Love them.

EEGAH!! said...

Thanks R o R, that's quite a compliment coming from a person as knowledgeable on these old films as you are.

TABONGA! said...

And another thanks R o R, all I can say is, well... We try!

Robert M. Lindsey said...

I have Devil Girl from Mars coming to me right now! I still get Netflix discs as some things are not easy to find online.

kd said...

It's a strange/cool flick, DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS! Of course that massive robot, named Chani, looked like an extra large gas pump crossed with a big deep freeze/refrigerator! But I can't think of this movie without recalling watching it for the first time, back in the 1980s with a no-longer-with-us old friend, so when the robot first appeared I proclaimed "Heeeere's Chani!" and my pal shot chocolate milk out of his nostrils! SPEW, haha!

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??