Monday, October 1, 2012

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE / Universal International Pictures - 1953

It's Monster Redo Monday with Tabonga, here at The Dungeon!.. Time to update this title since we did it years ago, hit the refresh button, NOW! One thing about Universal Studios, they always took their horror and sci-fi very seriously, this was their first monster feature in the fifties with a huge budget of $800,000. The story's about an alien spaceship that makes an emergency landing in the Arizona desert, it crash lands near the home of writer and an amateur stargazer, John Putnam. John and his girlfriend witness the event, so, John decides to investigate...

Eegah!! sent over a great lil' soundclip for our enjoyment, sooooo, push the big red 'GO' button there by the neon ventilator, NOW, Ralphie The Tarantula! Here's our monsterous audio offering for... IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE!

This is stargazer John Putnam and his girl Ellen Fields, a local schoolteacher, they watch as an alien craft zooms across the horizon and crashes into a nearby cavern. Richard (THE MAGNETIC MONSTER) Carlson plays John, Barbara (WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE) Rush plays Ellen. For me, Richard Carlson was the perfect fifties sci-fi guy!

The viewer gets a sneak peek of the inside of the spacecraft and then the unique Xenomorph creature, which was created by the awesome Milicent Patrick. Milicent also designed the monster mask in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, the Creature in CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and the Mutant for THIS ISLAND EARTH, move over Paul Blaisdell!

Sexy Milicent Patrick with some of her pals...

John finds the spaceship in the cavern just before a landslide covers it entirely. The locals have trouble believing that John actually saw a ship from another world.

Electricians Frank and George are the first ones to be taken over by the aliens.

Frank's wife and George's girlfriend notice big changes in their personalities!

Hey, my last post had a space cadet in it too! This lil' creep just scared the crap out of Ellen, believe it or not!

Ellen's body is taken over next... I dunno, I think she's a lot sexier as an alien, I dig those eyebrows the most!

She lures John into a mine entrance, then, turns on the charm!

Back at home, John notices that he's had an unearthly visitor, there's a snailish glitter-like substance on the floor, also, some of his clothes are missing!

When he goes back to the mine he's met by alien Ellen, who then tries to kill him with her deadly ray gun! Ironically, she dies during the encounter.

John meets his double, the leader of the mission, they just need a little more time to replinish the power to the ship's space drive...

The locals have come to blow the place up with dynamite. John convinces the aliens to release their captives, and, that would buy them the time they need to power up for the launch as a gesture of good faith.

We'll end with the wise words of John Putnam ~ They'll be back!..

5 comments:

Exeter said...

WoW!
I forgot how cool this film is!

I think I might have a DVD,or else just dig out VHS # 64!

Exeter said...

I am not a robot.
I don't think so anyway..
.

Matthew St. Cyr said...

I love this film. When I was a kid, I had read the "book" version put out by Crestwood House and I loved it. There was a picture of one of the possessed folks with glowing eyes that really creeped me out. I'll have to watch this again!

EEGAH!! said...

I loves me some Millicent! The dream of every man from 7 to 70!

A Moose said...

Awesome. Thanks for this.

I had the pleasure of seeing this movie with a very dear friend in 3D at the now departed Red Vic movie theater in San Francisco a few years back.

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??