Tuesday, May 13, 2008

MANFISH - Clyde Hoyte/Richard Koerner- "Big Fish - Beware The Caribbean" (1956)

Well, first off, I'd like to thank my old buddy Tabonga for filling in the last four days while I wandered aimlessly in the desert. To be honest with you, I wasn't sure if that loghead could put a complete sentence together or not, but I think he did a great job for someone who has a turnip for a cousin! So, we decided to let him continue to do the posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting next week, and that will give me a bit of a break and help keep my burnout to a minimum and we can keep this thing rolling! So, let's celebrate and keep the party going with some 'Island Music' from a movie called "Manfish"!! Now, this is one movie I had never seen before, and I must admit, I was a bit disappointed as I was sure there was going to be some cool creature like from a black lagoon, but no, "Manfish" is the name of the boat! This is an 'Island' movie with Lon Chaney Jr. in it, and the story is based on two Edgar Allen Poe stories, "The Gold Bug" & "The Tell-Tale Heart," and that's about all that qualifies it as a horror movie! 
 
"Big Fish" and "Goodbye" were written and performed by the multi-talented Clyde Hoyte, composer and journalist as who else but, "Calypso!" Clyde passed away in 2003! 
 
Underwater skeletons are always scary! Drunk ones are even scarier!! 
 
Richard Koerner wrote "Beware The Caribbean" and is incredibly impossible to find any information about. I have no idea who the woman is or what key she is singing in. It's very hard to decide if she is a really good or a really bad vocalist. Listen to it and you be the judge!! 
 
This movie was filmed in Jamaica in 1956, and it is now in public domain. This was a transitional time in 'Island Music' closing out the years of Mento and Calypso and moving towards Ska and Reggae. Here Clyde Hoyte does a reprise of "Big Fish." 
 
I have been doing a lot of reading about Lon Chaney Jr. lately, and by the looks of it, I think he probably really enjoyed this shoot!!!

No comments:

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??